HOPE Volleyball 2023
Tournament Rules & Regulations
You must have FUN! This is a charity fundraiser tournament!
- Participants must be 16 years of age or older.
- All participants must read and agree to the online waiver, or sign a hardcopy and submit it on event day before playing.
- 6 players must be on the court, minimum of two women. 6-10 players per team roster.
- Game ball is provided by HOPE. Both team captains can agree to use an alternate ball.
- Team captains to “flip coin” before game to determine choice of serve, receive or side. HOPE may invoke a mid-game side change depending on court conditions.
- Game starts when horn is blown. 1 minute grace period from starting horn after which a default score is recorded (25-10).
- Games are self-officiated (please play with good sportsmanship).
We reserve the right to modify the rules and playoff format; you will be notified of any changes prior to the start of the tournament or playoffs, respectively.
We have made the rules for this tournament a hybrid of Beach and Indoor rules in an attempt to allow the most possible rallies.
General INDOOR volleyball rules (per Volleyball Canada Official Rules) apply including the items noted below or with the noted exceptions:
- Maximum of five (5) consecutive serves per player; teams must then rotate to the next server (n/a Intermediate Division).
- NO jump serving.
- Volleys on service reception are legal only in the Recreational Division but not legal in Intermediate (any hand contact on serve receive in Intermediate must be in a percussive rebound motion with 1 contact).
- Spiking is allowed in Recreational & Intermediate Divisions (where spiking is defined as a forceful hitting of the ball in a downward direction).
- Open handed tips are legal in Recreational Division.
- No open hand tips in Intermediate Division (pokeys, knuckles, back of hand, heel of hand are legal).
- Blocks do not count as a touch (Indoor Volleyball rule) (blocker can also then touch the next ball which would be the 1st contact).
- Volleys on defense first contact are allowed (not only on hard driven balls). Contact can be a double contact but not a lift (Indoor Volleyball rule).
- Recreational Division: Volleys can go over the net without any restrictions (other than a lift and double contact).
- Intermediate Division: Volleys intentionally crossing the net must be done by a player who is square to the target (Beach 2s rule).
- If the ball touches the line, it is in.
- Any net contact is a violation.
- There is no centreline violation in beach volleyball but if you go under the net and interfere with the opponent that is a violation
- Teams must maintain rotation order and rotate clockwise (Back Court players cannot block or Attack from above the net height in the front row. Since there is no attack line you must be a minimum of 3 metres away from the net, without question, if you attack a back court ball).
- Re-serve if there is any interference
- Example: a stray ball rolls onto your court.
- Points are awarded on every serve (i.e. rally points).
- Game ends at the earlier of (a) the sound of the horn/whistle (14 minutes) or (b) the first to 25 points and win by 2.
- Once the end of the game has been announced, do not serve the ball. If the ball is in play at that time, finish the play.
- Tied games are allowed and will be recorded as such.
- The score for each game must be reported to the scoring table by the winning team captain after each game. Team captains are responsible for confirming team scores prior to start of playoffs for accuracy.
Game results will be tabulated as follows:
- Loss = 0 Points; Tie = 1 Point; WIN = 2 Points.
- Default = 2 points and scored 25-10 Playoffs.
- Once the playoff seeds are determined, the playoff schedule cannot be changed, even if an error was recorded by the scorers or the teams.
- The intent of HOPE Volleyball is for everyone to have lots of fun. In that spirit, we have maximized the games played and opted for a shorter round of playoffs. At the end of the round-robin teams will be ranked by total points and then by for/against. The top 8 teams in each division (not court) will advance to the divisional playoffs. Should the top 8 not capture all of the teams with 12 points (i.e. teams that won all of their games) then a round of 16 will be added to the playoffs.
- We reserve the right to modify the playoff format and you will be notified prior to the start of the playoff round.
- Please keep in mind that this is a fun tournament for charity.
- Games are self-refereed. Should a dispute arise, the team captains will discuss the situation. If they are unable to quickly agree, replay the point if time permits. You will not be permitted additional playing time because of a dispute.
- Sorry, no refunds. All proceeds go to charity.